chicks - what will they look like?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mydog8it, Aug 13, 2010.

1. mydog8it

mydog8it Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    [​IMG]

From top to bottom: barred rock, red something (can't remember), ameraucana, barred rock, ameraucana; at four days old.

Does anyone know what the two ameraucanas will look like as adults? I'm trying to name them...

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Your "Ameraucanas" are actually Easter Eggers, which are mixes, and can literally look like ANYTHING. And will often change colors/patterns between when they start to feather out and when they are adults... [​IMG]

3. PetChickenBoo

PetChickenBoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

This is my Easter Egger at 4 weeks old. From what I can see in the picture yours looks a lot like mine did in the beginning....maybe this will give you an idea.

Very cute chicks!

4. mydog8it

Jul 13, 2010
    @Cloverleaf Farm: Thanks - I figured they wouldn't be predictable. Makes naming them difficult...

@PetChickenBoo: Your girls are beautiful [​IMG] My ameraucanas are starting to get the same pattern on their wing feathers, so I think you're right, they will probably be similar. It will be fun to see if they change again once they get their adult feathers.

5. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I held off on the naming until something seemed to fit. The two I had names for really didn't fit the chicks, but now we are stuck with them [​IMG] The two whose names just seemed to come to me are much better. Give it some time, and the names will come.

6. mydog8it

Jul 13, 2010
    Thought I'd post some updated photos of these girls. The two Ameraucanas have super soft feathers, and one looks really similar to yours, @PetChickenBoo. The other has about 5 different colors on her and a really fluffy beard. I can't wait until they start laying [​IMG]

Omlette: (this was the striped chick)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lemon-Pepper: (this was the brown chick)
    [​IMG]

the Ameraucanas together:
    [​IMG]

Pixie: (black chick)
    [​IMG]

Poppy: (black chick)
    [​IMG]

Ginger: (red chick)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  7. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Pixie looks like a boy to me! Would that be a bad thing? They're all very handsome anyway. I LOVE the puffly cheeks on your EEs.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Omelette is an EE rooster. the others are all pullets.

9. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Mine are not EE's they are mutts but see the difference? like Cloverleaf said they can look like anything
    thenThe three in the back
    [​IMG]
    now
    [​IMG]

10. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Quote:I have 3 EE's and they have changed significantly in first 6 weeks. One has practically gone from total black to 1/2 tan and 1/2 black, the other has had so many changes I can't keep up and the other all black one has stayed all black. My other chickens haven't changed colors at all.

Do all EE's get those adorable puffy cheeks?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by