chicks will be 6 weeks old wednesday may 13th can they go out in run.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blueseal, May 9, 2009.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have 17 chicks in all. i still have a 100 watt light on them 24/7 in the coop. there mostly feathersed all but a couple smaller chicks. i built a 12ft long by 6ft wide by 4 ft high run for them . so they can go out side during the day. made from a 50ft roll of 1inch mesh poultry netting and i covered the top of the run with the wire also to keep out chicken hawks. just in case. they have never bothered the bigger flock. but u never know with the litle ones. so when should i start letting them out in the run.

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Absolutely!!! They will love it.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Will they be with older chickens? If they are by themselves, they'll be fine.

4. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:they are by themselves.

5. DixieDame67

DixieDame67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Jonesbourgh Tennessee
    Blueseal, I'm Sooo glad i read this post...i have 17 around 6 wk old chicks to, I'm about ready to pull my hair out and someone IS pulling out my pair of polish top hat feathers, there BALD ! cept for a few sprigs lol So today i got out and cleaned out the swing set coop , lined the inside of it about 1 foot from actual wiring for extra protection from preditors, and tomorrow they ARE going outside, my swingset coop i put half a floor , sorta like a loft, i have a heat light hanging in case there is a cool night , but i to was wondering if they were ready, but they have outgrown there playpen, getting out all the time, my spare bedroom looks and smells like poopieville, i got newspapers scattered everywhere....and they don't seem to care for my gosling i rescued [​IMG] But good luck !!!!

Dixie [​IMG]

6. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I should add - Do you have your lawn chairs ready and perhaps an umbrella for the hours and hours you will sit there watching them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by