Chicks will not eat treats! Crazy!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4urbanchicks, May 31, 2010.

1. 4urbanchicks

4urbanchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    I have 3 week old chicks that I have tried feeding two things that I have read in posts that they should just love! I tried blended up hard boiled egg, and then I tried plain yogurt. In both cases, the most dominant chick tried it, but then turned her nose up. Is this common? Also, is it okay to try to give them a few small worms from the garden?

2. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    I had the same problem. As they get older, that will change. Soon they will come running up to you when you get close. I used to talk to my chicks all the time when I fed them. Now they recognize my voice and come running even if i'm 30 feet away!
    Relax, your doing fine. It's not you. Soon they wont want anything else but treats [​IMG]

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Just give them time, some chicks have more adventurous tastes than others. You can try imitating a Mama hen, tap the dish with your finger and say "bok-bok-bok-bok!", maybe take a pinch of the food & drop it near them. They may be too young to appreciate yogurt, and maybe should wait for the worms. They might enjoy digging into & pecking at a clump of grass or weeds with the dirt ball intact. And a piece of cooked spaghetti could have them playing tug-o-war and keep-away!

4. TomKat

TomKat Out Of The Brooder

My chickens didn't seem to care for yogurt much either. Their favorite treats are first kingworms from the petstore, and second place is grapes cut in half. We cut the grapes since they are bantams which I wouldn't bother to do for standard sized chickens. Earthworms are fine to give them. I found the youngest birds came for these before other treats.

5. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Oatmeal (either cooked or uncooked) is usually one of the first treats I give. They usually love it. Crushed Cheerios is also popular.

6. Delphinium

Delphinium Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Northern AZ
    My chicks didn't like the hard boiled egg I offered them until closer to 4 weeks. Now they gobble it up!

7. GallopingGoat

GallopingGoat Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Vermont
    Do you have to give grit before giving treats? Also, mine are only coming on two weeks - is it too early to give treats?

Thanks

8. MarieNC

MarieNC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    I had a magic transformation in my girls from 3 to 4 weeks. Before they could not have cared less for any kind of treats. Now they eat tomatoes, strawberries, grass clippings, dandelion leaves, mealworms and particularly millet seeds. I give them a cup of grit to eat as needed. They LOVE the sound of momma getting the treat bowl ready!

9. abanjaf

abanjaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Cocoa, Florida
    Mine love crickets! And it is oh, so much fun to watch them chase the crickets! Better than TV!

10. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    My chicks took several times of me just putting my hand in the brooder. Then after a week or so I put a little chopped egg. Just left my hand there. Still not much interest. But after a few times one got too curious and tried it. Now they come running when I come out to the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by