1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks With Birth Defect

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by allcritterssitting, May 17, 2011.

1. allcritterssitting

allcritterssitting New Egg

May 17, 2011
    I have had a chick born for the last two season with the intestines on the outside of their body. Does anyone know why this defect happens and how to prevent it? I guess it is a genetic defect. It is horrible to see and the chicks suffer until they pass. I have no idea what breed the chicks are as it is a small backyard flock that I've allowed to intermix. Only two are Roosters (1 R.I. Red and one Polish Silkie. Is this the problem?) Any suggestions or advice would be apreciated. Thanks! [​IMG]

Diane M
    4 White Rocks, 2 Polish Silkies, 6 Reds, 3 Japanese Fantail Bandy's, 2 Buffs, 2 Leghorns

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think that has to do with incubation....Temp fluxuations can cause defects like that........Try googlling "Incubation troubleshooting" and that might help you figure out what causes that. I'm sure that's awful to see.

In a case like that, I would cull the chick quickly as it would be merciful.

3. allcritterssitting

allcritterssitting New Egg

May 17, 2011
    Thanks Sharon! How does one "cull" a chick? I am new to this. have had chickens for about 4 years now and haven't had problems until now. If it involves killing it, I am not sure I can handle that. I know it would be more humane. Is there a way i can do something and walk away? (Ugh......)

4. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I had to cull a partially-hatched chick once. I used sharp scissors and cut the head off. It was not difficult and was very quick.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    [​IMG] sorry your having to go through this. The easiest way, for me, is to quickly cut their heads off with a sharp pair of scissors or pruning shears. I place the chick inside a bag (so I don't have to see it) and quickly snip the head off. Its hard, but sometimes really is what's best. Good luck....

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I can't do it. So, I hand it to my husband and go back in the house. He just pulls their heads off. He says they come off really easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by