Chicks with bloody poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leaguinea, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Leaguinea

Leaguinea Songster

Jun 22, 2017
    SW Ontario, Canada
    I have some Silkies that hatched out approx 4 weeks ago. They are doing good except that i noticed yesterday there is bloody poop in the brooder. The blood is bright red, not dark and I thought at first that one of the chicks was injured.
    Everything online points to coccidiosis... I am in ontario and have absolutely no access to medication without a vet first making a farm call. Although I love my chicks I can't justify paying over $300.00 just for the initial visit.
    Is there any other alternative to why the blood is in the poop? Should I cull them all to prevent spreading the sickness? Wait and see what happens?
    They have been getting medicated feed, they were hatched by me and been in the house brooder so no exposure to other birds. they still seem to be eating and drinking, don't seem lethargic.

2. flowerfaeiry

flowerfaeiry Songster

Dec 15, 2012
    Onancock, VA
    Can you get Toltrazuril or Endocox? I order online. Many people swear by "sweet bleach", I've never tried it and it sounds toxic to me, but you can research it and see what you think. The chicks will die within days without some type of medicine.

3. flowerfaeiry

flowerfaeiry Songster

Dec 15, 2012
    Onancock, VA
    Also, keep the brooder as poop free and clean as possible, they ingest it when pecking the litter.

4. Tycine1

Tycine1 Crowing

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
  5. Leaguinea

Leaguinea Songster

Jun 22, 2017
    SW Ontario, Canada
    No, I can't get either of those... The only thing health canada allows is electrolytes. (keep your animals hydrated while they slowly die.) It's ironic really.
    It's not even available to me online.
    I am cleaning and disinfecting the brooder but I guess there isn't much else i can do.

6. flowerfaeiry

flowerfaeiry Songster

Dec 15, 2012
    Onancock, VA
    Look into sweet bleach. Google it. The recipe is 3ounces regular bleach, 1 1/2 cups sugar mix in one gallon water. Give to the chicks for 24 hours, then give electrolytes for one week. Like I said, it sounds toxic and I've never tried it, but people swear it works better than meds. Do some research on it.

7. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Can you not get Corid? IMG_20190613_174008.jpg

8. Leaguinea

Leaguinea Songster

Jun 22, 2017
    SW Ontario, Canada
  9. Leaguinea

Leaguinea Songster

Jun 22, 2017
    SW Ontario, Canada
    this sounds intense. I will google it. it might be my only option.

RhodeIslandRed5 likes this.
  10. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Sorry to hear you cannot get any type of medications. Hopefully that 'sweet bleach' will help. Good luck. :fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: