Chicks with bloody poops...

MamaMarcy

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
Snohomish, WA
I sold a chick the other day (about 5-6 weeks old). when it left here, it seemed healthy. The woman emailed me today that she suspects it has coccidiosis -- bloody stools, ruffled feathers, and she claims it's thin and eating all the time. It, and my other chicks, are all on medicated chick feed. So I checked all my babies carefully (all 5-12 weeks old) and they all looked absolutely fine this afternoon. I just tucked them in, and sure enough there's some bloody stools. Little bits of blood mixed in. They are eating and drinking, unruffled, and seem normal activity wise.

I'm guessing I should head to town as soon as the feed stores open and start treating for coccidiosis and maybe worms?

Any advice?

Is this a death sentence? What about older birds who get it? There's our roo in with them, around 10 months old.

The rest of our adult birds are at the other end of the yard and the newborns are in a brooder in anoher part of the yard (in a shed). Should I start treatment on them too?

Thanks everyone....

I would treat for cocci as soon as possible. You should have a high survival rate as long as you get on it quickly.

Your older birds should be ok. Just watch them for symptoms.

Last edited:
You should start them on Corid asap.

If you can get it into them fast enough you won't lose any.

At about 5-6 months old the birds develop immunity to it and usually won't get it.

I just hope it's not too late. .. with feed stores being closed overnight. It's almost 5am, and I'm up with a really sick human child, so should be able to get to the feed store as soon as they open.

Corid can be found in the cattle section at your feed store. Dosage for the corid 9.6% liquid solution is 9.5cc per gallon of water for 5 days. Dosage for the corid 20% soluable powder is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 days.
Make the mixtures fresh daily. If the birds are too sick to drink the treated water on their own, use an eyedropper to draw from the 1 gallon mixture and orally dose them 4-5 times a day.

Thank you so much!!! Is there a certain amount they need to drink daily (or a certain amount forced per session if they get too weak?)

I'm so glad I live in a farming community where getting the meds should be easy...

Got the corid and just started them on it! they still look really good, are active, etc. Hoping this keeps them from getting worse!!!

Thanks for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom