Chicks With Diarrhea

Lolliegee

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Cottage Grove, OR
I've noticed that a few of my chicks have diarrhea...2 1/2 weeks old, on non-medicated chick starter, and a little grit. Any thoughts on what to do? Besides, their health, the smell is much worse.
sickbyc.gif

I would go to the feed store and ask them questions...and get some electrolytes to put in their water. They will give you instructions for the mixing.

I would not count on the feed store for answers, unless they sell baby chicks, or at least raise them. The electrolytes are easy, simply convert to 1 gallon or 1/4 that for a quart jar waterer. The ratios are pretty simple math even if the directions are for 100 gallons. You might need a small weight scale if you want to be exact, but exact isn't nearly as important for electrolytes as it is for antibiotics and such. For example if the package is for 100 gallon [ common with multi species mixes; cattle, .... poultry] , and weighs 12 ounces, then for 1 gallon it is 12/100 = .12 oz (about 3 grams).

Personally, I'd just add a couple of tablespoons/gallon and be done with it. That and making sure that I kept the litter and equipment very very clean.

I can't do the medicated, because I'm brooding my ducklings and chicks together. As for treats, I've given them a little apple. I'm pretty sure it's not cecal (though thanks for the link, it was helpful). It definitely isn't all of them, maybe 2 or 3. Any other thoughts?
hu.gif

If they were mine I would cut out all treats and only offer chick starter and water and see if it clears up.

Thanks for all the advice...I think I may know what caused it. I had put a branch in the brooder for them and it had moss on it...They (and the ducklings) have all eaten the moss. I think they may be what caused it. It seems to be clearing up now that the moss is gone.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom