Chicks with large crops

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by megpie021, Mar 12, 2017.

1. megpie021

megpie021 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2017
    Mchenry, Illinois
    All six of my chicks have some pretty good size crops the last few days. They are very noticeable but not to the point the skin looks super stretched or anything. They are all still very active, very interested in food and water, and I think they are all still pooping since it feels like I am constantly cleaning up after them. No one seems to be in pain or acting strange. Most of the poop is what I have been used to seeing from them, but there have been two or three really wet ones, and those ones are a bit stinky. They have been on Naturewise Chick starter/grower, which says it has a good amount of probiotics. I have started putting apple cider vinegar in their water instead of the electrolyte mix, covered all shavings with paper towels... They are 3 weeks old and 2 weeks old. What else do I do? Is there any chance this is normal and I am way over reacting?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Pull your feeder at "bedtime" tonight and check their crops first thing in the morning before replacing the feeder -- only if the crops are still large is there any cause for concern. Many folks notice what appears to be crops that are "large all the time" but actually just happen to see their birds at the times they have recently filled their crops -- by pulling the feed you avoid them stuffing themselves full before you check them and allow sufficient time for any feed in the crop to have cleared through overnight. If you are using a light for heat for the chicks it disrupts the natural day/night cycle and can lead to irregular filling/emptying of the crop as they get up in the night to "top off" - again, the pulling of the feed disrupts that so that you get a real idea of whether or not their crops are emptying normally.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Just a comment about chick poops, they really begin to smell stinky about this age, especially if they are inside. OGM has given good advice. Chicks usually have noticeable crops at this age.

4. megpie021

Feb 25, 2017
    Mchenry, Illinois
    Thank you guys. I am giving them som scrambled egg, plain yogurt and wet crumbles for "dinner" and then will remove it before bed. There is A LOT of poop, so some of them are definitely still processing food, if not all. I will reaccess in the morning. My wyandotte definitely still feels fine as she flew out the moment i lifted screen and proceeded to strut around the spare room.

5. megpie021

Feb 25, 2017
    Mchenry, Illinois
    My six look much better this morning. No one looks really noticeable or anything. I reached in and they all come running up super active and looking for breakfast. There is SO MUCH poop. The paper towels make that much more obvious. The shaving hide it well. I think I was probably worrying over nothing.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Great news - these little bundles of fluff can find all sorts of ways to worry us, especially the first time around with raising them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by