1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

chicks with lice or mites

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by greenegglena, May 18, 2010.

1. greenegglena

greenegglena Hatching

May 18, 2010
    I have 3 week old chicks with lice or mites. They are in the basement being cared for. I dont know what powder or solution I should use to remedy this problem.

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Crowing

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Have you seen the bugs or are you just noticing scratching and preening of feathers? I'm just asking because sometimes people don't realize that chicks are constantly growing in new feathers and preen a lot, with a lot of feather dust and dander in their feathers. It's also normal for them to be scratching. Molting is an itchy business.

If they were mine and I saw actual bugs on them, I would use diatomaceous dust on them. I don't like to use neurotoxins on such young, developing creatures.

3. greenegglena

greenegglena Hatching

May 18, 2010
    Dear Woodland woman,

Thank-you for your advice. I did not see any visible mites however they are microscopic in nature. What my major concern is that the broody hens that hatched these beauties have the mite that eats the plumge starting at their tail feathers. After reading I discoverd that my new chicken barn is placed in a very susceptible place for this very condition. When the chickens free range, they have the tendency to range through the brush and timbers!!!!! NO GOOD AT ALL. I have 41 hens The established 15 hens that I have 4 yrs run the open grass area causing the others in the coop de ville to run in the brushy areas not to mention an acre over to the neighbors yard. Now I have to enclose them in a fence. For the peeps I will do my very best to make the transition into the coop a sucess.

they are in my canning kitchen downstairs! I LOVE MY CHICKENS!!!!! GREENEGGLENA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: