chicks with lone hen - help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jane, Nov 3, 2007.

1. jane

jane Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    I am trying to introduce 3 wyandotte bantams, who are between 9-11 weeks old, to my Pekin bantam pullet, the sole survivor of a predator attack a few weeks ago. They have had many days in their cat carrier inside her coop and they have had a few sessions together in the coop. She has been very aggressive and pecky but it seemed to be improving. Today I left them unsupervised for about half an hour and when I came back two of the Little Girls had bloody patches on their backs where she had pecked them! Here are my questions...
    1. The pecked birds have been eating and drinking and seem OK; should I do anything to help their wounds or should I look out for anything in particular?
    2. Should I just keep them in the house until they are bigger?
    3. Is it ever going to get better or are they just not compatible?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If they are about the same size, they should be able to intergrate. It will take at least a week, and probably two for things to calm down. For blood spots, you want to put on blue kote or some spray to discourage pecking. Else, you are doing fine with the carrier intro's and the like. Good luck.

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Maybe you could take the older one out for a while and let the little ones get used to the space alone. Then after a few hours, put the older one back in. Maybe then it would feel like the older one was being put into 'their turf' instead of the other way around.

4. jane

jane Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks Lurky, I have tried that; let the older one free range in the garden, while the little ones play in the coop, then pop her back in. That is when she gets so mean and grumpy. I guess I'll just keep them mainly inside with us for a couple of weeks more till they get a bit bigger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by