1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks with Mama in snow!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SusanPC, Feb 17, 2015.

1. SusanPC

SusanPC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2014
    Southwest Florida
    I gave my broody BO 9 chicks about 10 days ago. After the first 5 days, we moved them all out of the coop and into a corner of the run due to space issues. She has been doing a great job of keeping them warm. We've had several warmer days, especially last weekend when we moved them into the run, but now had some frigid nights and were a bit worried how the biddies would do. Well, last night it snowed (unusual for us), so we broke down and added a heat lamp to the pen area, but Mama is still tucking them close when they want to warm up and letting them run around and eat and drink for a few minutes in between. After raising our first batch of chicks in a brooder in my home, this is amazing to see just how hardy chicks are and how a mother hen and chicks all have the instinct to make it work even in colder weather.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    LOL that's not snow....this is SNOW: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Small shed roof was clear 24 hours ago....6 more inches forecast in the next 24 hours.
    Large shed has a broody with 6 chicks, it IS amazing how hardy they are......
    ........as long as I tote them out thawed mash and water every few hours.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  3. chickgarden

chickgarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Aart do you use supplemental heat or does the mother hen keep the chicks warm enough?

4. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Nope, no supplemental heat...she's kept them warm enough so far, but we just hit -12F at 6am here...am almost afraid to go out and check on them, but time for their wet mash(fingerscrossed).

5. SusanPC

SusanPC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2014
    Southwest Florida
    I hope all the chicks were okay. I lost one earlier this week. It was dead in the nest box in the morning, but all others are good. Not from the cold. Sometimes bad things happen to good chicks... I hope everyone is keeping warm where you are today Aart. We almost hit 80 degrees today and will be in the 20s on Sunday... Crazy weather... Here are a few pics of the chicks today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep, they made it thru the terrible cold just fine, even came out to eat wet mash for 5-10 minutes, then back under mama!

7. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    I am so glad that everyone is ok. Good luck with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by