Chicks with mits

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Brigdettedevyn, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Brigdettedevyn

Brigdettedevyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    Hi, Everyone. I have been reading a lot of the post on here. I have been trying to find out into on if Permectin II is ok to use on my one week old chicks???? They have mits. I have 10 chicks in all at this time. 3 that are a week. 4 that are about 3 weeks old. 3 that are about 4 weeks old. I have seen the mits on the older ones and I have read if one has them they all do. Just dont want to make my 3 little ones sick. Please Help.

2. Gaia

Gaia Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    I would suggest Ivermectin (I used it when I had a lice problem once, got it at the local feed-store). It says it kills Mites and a bunch of other nasties, but am not sure if it can be used on Chicks....

I mixed 1 part Ivermectin to 50 parts H2o and sprayed it under my birds wings, around the Vent, and a bit on the back of the neck. We did 2 treatments (10 days apart) and it worked like a charm.

I really do hope someone can give you a better, more straight forward answer. :) Good Luck! :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  3. Brigdettedevyn

Brigdettedevyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    thanks for your info. any and all info it good info. thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by