Chicks with multicolored wings

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Soylent Chick, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Soylent Chick

Soylent Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2015
    Good morning BYC!

Any ideas what breed these week old chicks might be? (I think they are the same breed so I put them in one thread.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Could you give us some information on where you got them?

3. Soylent Chick

Jan 6, 2015
    I got them as eggs after they were passed through a few people's hands. They were from a farm that supplies eggs to a hatchery. I haven't been able to track down which farm but I think it's in Kentucky. Supposedly these were surplus so the eggs were unmarked. I guessed that the eggs were on the track to be food.

I forgot to mention that the eggs were light brown.

4. JacksFarmNGardn

JacksFarmNGardn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2015
    New York
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They look alot like my buff orp light brahma mixes. At 1wk look just like yours! Hope you keep is updated with pics,i'd love to compare outs as they grow!

5. Soylent Chick

Jan 6, 2015
    Your chicks are cute, Jack! Crosses would explain why I couldn't find a good picture match. I'm really curious to know what they'll look like in a few weeks. There will be more pics!

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
  7. JacksFarmNGardn

JacksFarmNGardn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2015
    New York
    [​IMG]

I haven't been able to find anywhere online any pics of others orp brahma mixes. I think i found where the roo was a brahma, but the roo for mine was the orp. It'd make a difference in how the chick looks. Does yours have feathered feet? That is a trait from the brahma that should let you know with better certainty that your chick is mixed with that.

8. Soylent Chick

Jan 6, 2015
    No feathered feet on either one.

The one weird thing I noticed is that the chick pictured on the left is larger than all the other chicks that he/she was hatched with. Comparatively slow feather growth though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by