Chicks with mum having lil feathers pecked off

macyrose92

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2021
The mum hatched 3 chicks 7 days ago, and there was an unfortunate incident where one was attached to mums leg due to dried poo and she broke its wing as she trotted out in the morning. I took this chick away and mended it inside quickly before putting her back. All seemed fine and they accepted her again, then I came back and the wing had no feathers left on it. Just a flesh arm, at which point I took her away and she now lives inside under a brooder. SInce then the remaining 2 seemed fine over the last 2 days since and then today I noticed one had a bloody tail feathers where those had been pecked off. I have now sprayed them with anti peck spray. Otherwise mum is good, teaching them to eat, drink, keeping them warm - all the good signs. I havent seen who is doing this but I'd be suprised if the chicks pecked hard enough. Has anyone experienced this before? I have 3 other broody mums with no sign of this behaviour and I've been hatching for 20 years and never seen this before! Any help or guidance ie should I take chicks away (which I really dont want to do) would be appreciated.

The mum hatched 3 chicks 7 days ago, and there was an unfortunate incident where one was attached to mums leg due to dried poo and she broke its wing as she trotted out in the morning. I took this chick away and mended it inside quickly before putting her back. All seemed fine and they accepted her again, then I came back and the wing had no feathers left on it. Just a flesh arm, at which point I took her away and she now lives inside under a brooder. SInce then the remaining 2 seemed fine over the last 2 days since and then today I noticed one had a bloody tail feathers where those had been pecked off. I have now sprayed them with anti peck spray. Otherwise mum is good, teaching them to eat, drink, keeping them warm - all the good signs. I havent seen who is doing this but I'd be suprised if the chicks pecked hard enough. Has anyone experienced this before? I have 3 other broody mums with no sign of this behaviour and I've been hatching for 20 years and never seen this before! Any help or guidance ie should I take chicks away (which I really dont want to do) would be appreciated.
Chicks can peck quite hard believe it or not. I had one die years ago, due to cannibalism. Do you have pictures of the chicks? Chickens are attracted to blood, not like sharks, but they peck at red.

Chicks can peck quite hard believe it or not. I had one die years ago, due to cannibalism. Do you have pictures of the chicks? Chickens are attracted to blood, not like sharks, but they peck at red.
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking this because the mum is doing all the right things and I've stayed there watching for ages and not seen anything worrying. I sprayed her with anti peck (got some on me and can safely say it tastes awful! lol) it doesnt look any worse this morning (I literally just took these photos) and last night I washed most of the blood off as I did think that its a trigger. Do you think I should take this chick away and just leave the one with mum? or keep an eye on if it gets worse?

Attachments

• thumbnail_20210724_075148.jpg
    thumbnail_20210724_075148.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 9
  • thumbnail_20210724_075207.jpg
    thumbnail_20210724_075207.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 9
  • thumbnail_20210724_075232.jpg
    thumbnail_20210724_075232.jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail_20210724_075333.jpg
    thumbnail_20210724_075333.jpg