Chicks with nine toes

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PtldChick, Jul 31, 2011.

1. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place but none of the headings were quite right...

I have a couple Red Frizzle bantam chicks from the feed store. Two of them have five toes on their left foot and four toes on their right foot. One has a tiny stub where maybe a fifth toe could be on the right foot, the other does not. I also have a third one with four regular toes - all the same batch of chicks. I always assumed that the red frizzles were red frizzle cochins, but what's up with the strange toes? Are there other red frizzle bantam breeds?

ETA: S/he has pink skin and toes, so it's unlikely she is a silkie. S/he does have feathering on the legs, though not as profuse as my bantam cochins.

I'm assuming the two with the fifth toe must have a parent in common, and/or a five toe bird got into the mix. Even so, usually they have the same number of toes on each foot.

One of the two is one I posted about in the emergencies forum last week that looks like it has wry neck, but I think got hurt in the box on the way home from the store (it slid). So far, the neck isn't getting better but she's still holding on. She eats egg and baby parrot food on her own, and as long as she's eating, I'll help her get water (she knocks over or falls into the small water dish a lot, so I usually end up giving her water from a syringe. She doesn't like me holding her, but she needs water to live, and she obviously has will to live.)

Do you think that the toe mutation might be related to a wry neck condition? Or is it just a coincidence? The other chick is quite healthy, growing, and will eat out of my hand. Amazing how a little egg or yogurt works.

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  2. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Silkies seem more likely to get wry neck in my experience. Sounds like your chicks may have some silkie in their background so yes, the wry neck and five toes could be related. I gave my silkie chick vit e (pretty high doses) twice a day and after 4 days she was completely better. Just get the gel capsules at the store, break them open, suck the stuff out with a syringe and squeeze it into the chicks mouth.

3. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    Sounds like a hatchery quality Silkie. It should have 5 toes on each foot, but several of my hatchery Silkies have 4 toes on one foot and 5 on the other. I think it's just the poor breeding that causes it. They come in red, and can be frizzled. Silkies do seem to get wry neck more often than other breeds, just basing that on reading the emergency section here! Wry neck can be treated. I had a Silkie get it to the point of having to drag its head between its feet if it wanted to move. I followed the prednisone/Vit E, Vit B, and Selenium treatment someone posted in the emergency section and my little "Twistie" is 100% normal now.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  4. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Thank you Dolly and Squishy,

I forgot to mention my chick has pink legs and skin, so it's not likely a silkie. I'm glad your chicks are better! [​IMG]

5. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    Could be one of the cochins jumped their pen into a pen of Silkies. I'd love to see pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by