Chicks with Pasty butts

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tplummer, Jul 4, 2010.

1. tplummer

tplummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    I have been raising chicks for a while now. I am doing everything I normally do with great success. I have some that are getting poop butts. I have lost a few. I am putting sugar, now antibiotics and probiotics in their water. I am making sure they get water. They seem to be drinking and eating. I am also keeping their butts clean. They are in my house with a 250 bulb over them, and they can go to a cool side of the brooder. Any other suggestions??????????????? These are silkies too.

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I assume this is not arrival day by what you said. They should not be on sugar water still.

3. tplummer

tplummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    These are eggs we hatched. We are giving them the sugar water since we have lost some. If they are not drinking enough, the sugar will help keep them energized when they do drink water.

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I could be wrong, but I believe that sugar water tends to either cause or aggravate pasty butt.
    Maybe some electrolytes in the water instead?
    Hope you get the pasty issue resolved.

5. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
  6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Why antibiotics and probiotics at the same time? Won't the antibiotics basically kill the organisms in the probiotics?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by