Acre4Me

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
Last week we picked up 17 chicks at the hatchery. Six different breeds. I posted the brand-new chick pictures (Day 1) and an update here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicks-with-pics.1224365/

Now Here is Week 2 Update with pictures. One chick died, but the hatchery had put in one extra chick of a different breed, so we have the same number of chicks we paid for. The Easter Eggers seem to be growing the fastest and growing those feathers quickly. They are also very aware. The Dark Brown Leghorns are quick, somewhat skittish, and seem to peck at anything that moves. The Black Jersey Giants are feathering out the slowest. They are alert and run around, but seem gentle and so far are not aggressive. Their bone structure is bigger/wider than the other chicks, but Ive read they grow their frames before they flesh out. The BJG are straight run, so no idea what we have. Although I am not a skilled animal photographer, I tried to capture pics to show the growth fo the chicks from Day 1 to Week 1. Enjoy the pictures!
Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 9.50.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 9.46.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 9.44.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 9.42.46 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 9.41.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 9.40.14 AM.png

The hatchery marked them with a marker since they are easy to confuse with BJG. Also, the blue mark is the male, the other 3 are female. I wanted a rooster. I asked for a BA male and a dark brown leghorn male, but the receipt does not indicate I got a male in the DBL (but does for the BA). Also, the BJG are straight run, so am hoping for girls, but we will see.
Ooh ok I did not know that

Can I ask if you can tell the color difference on the legs of the BA and BJG ?
Anything else you can tell at a few days old ?

Funny you should ask. I asked the same question in this thread earlier today:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/feet-color-bjg-vs-australorp.1225765/

No responses yet. You can see that they BJG definitely have yellow undersides to their feet, but the BA look very similar. Might be due to age and as they get older it may become much more noticeably different, but I'm such a novice, I don't know!

Back
Top Bottom