Chicks with pullets, feeding and housing questions, along with a cat q

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by forestrymom, May 15, 2011.

1. forestrymom

forestrymom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2010
    Hi! I FINALLY have my coop. Dh got it built on Mother's Day and I am picking up chicks and chickens tomorrow. I will have a mother hen with 10 chicks, 3 pullets (8mo) and 1 other chicken (2yo), as well as a rooster. My coop is chick pro of with a run that is probably chick proof, but I'm not sure how to organize them. Will the mother protect the chicks from the other chickens? What about a heat lamp? Will they need that? Do I need to have separate feeding situations? I have a good sized wire dog kennel I could keep the chicks and mother hen in, if needed.

Also, we have a barn cat, who sleeps in the barn where the coop is. Any thoughts on her? I would like to ahve the chickens free range at some point, at least when we're home. We have a predator problem in general, but don't want the cat to add to it.

Thanks and I am so excited! I hope it works out!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No heat lamp needed with a mama hen as she keeps her chicks warm. The cat will eat chicks but the adults will probably run her off, or ignore her. The mother hen should protect the chicks from the others, and the rooter sometimes will help. I always have mama hens raise chicks in with the flock.

If these chickens aren't already all living together, though, you may find you have a serious problem. It is difficult to mix adult chickens. Any that don't already live together i would separate from the rest, and keep them separated with a fence where they can see and hear each other for about a month. If they are coming from 4 different sources, then yes, I am talking about 4 pens. Read here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

Good luck.

3. forestrymom

forestrymom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2010
    The mother hen is not living with the others, but the others live together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by