Chicks with respiratory infection or something else?

Serenity06

Songster
8 Years
Aug 20, 2015
southern Alabama
Recently I purchased some day old chicks from my pet chicken and they all 7 shipped on Monday and arrived on Wednesday seemingly fine other than one speckled sussex who was sleeping more than the others. The next day it was making a clicking noise when it would tweet. It wasn't all the time but it was enough to make me think it could be a respiratory issue. I read some old threads on here that said to use powdered oxytetracycline, so I went to tractor supply to purchase some the next day (yesterday) but they had none. I couldn't even find it on their website so I'm thinking maybe they don't carry it anymore? I found some VetRX which I had never heard of but I did read on here that it can relieve symptoms so I got that and used that on her as soon as I got home, as well as put some electrolytes in their water but she was no longer wanting to eat or drink, just sleep. She didn't even make it through the evening. Now it's the next day and I just noticed a salmon faverolles that seems to be sleeping a bit more than the others. I don't know if I'm just worrying too much and she's fine but I still want to purchase some antibiotics just in case, if that's even what you guys think it is. I will have to get them online unless tractor supply has something else that you guys know of, but they won't arrive until some time next week. What should I do and is there any other info you may need?

Plain fresh water. Give each chick PND orally daily for a few days.
I began the NutriDrench as soon as I got home yesterday and I gave her another 2 drops 8 hours later. I made sure she was drinking as well, but she was not alive this morning when I checked on them. All the others seem fine so far but I'll continue the NutriDrench for them as well. I hope we don't lose anymore :( thank you both for the help

This sounds like shipping stress. They can get too cold or too hot, or be roughly handled in shipping. Also there could have been a poor hatch for some breeds. I have hatched salmon faverolles before from good lines, and they are not the easiest breed to hatch. It is unlikely they came from a hatchery with a respiratory disease. Vet rx is nothing but herbal oils, rosemary, oregano, pine, and camphor in vegetable oil. It is about as effective as Vicks. I would give a couple of drops of Poultry NutriDrench to each chick daily, and make sure they are drinking well. Dip the beaks and let them swallow. Make sure their vents are clear and not stuck with pasted poo.

I began the NutriDrench as soon as I got home yesterday and I gave her another 2 drops 8 hours later. I made sure she was drinking as well, but she was not alive this morning when I checked on them. All the others seem fine so far but I'll continue the NutriDrench for them as well. I hope we don't lose anymore :( thank you both for the help
Oh, that stinks! :(

This sounds like shipping stress. They can get too cold or too hot, or be roughly handled in shipping. Also there could have been a poor hatch for some breeds. I have hatched salmon faverolles before from good lines, and they are not the easiest breed to hatch. It is unlikely they came from a hatchery with a respiratory disease. Vet rx is nothing but herbal oils, rosemary, oregano, pine, and camphor in vegetable oil. It is about as effective as Vicks. I would give a couple of drops of Poultry NutriDrench to each chick daily, and make sure they are drinking well. Dip the beaks and let them swallow. Make sure their vents are clear and not stuck with pasted poo.
Thank you! I didn't think it was shipping stress since the other one was very lively and alert up until today. It just seems sudden. But I will get the NutriDrench today and hopefully that helps. Vents are clear and I see them all drinking regularly. Should I keep the electrolytes in their water or just plain fresh water?

Back
Top Bottom