Chicks with Split Legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tropical Chickies, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Tropical Chickies

Tropical Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    I just hatched three eggs last night and the chicks seemed fine and were moving around the bator as normal. Now this morning their legs have split. Like they can't put them up under themselves. Maybe it was my fault for having a paper plate in there? I had only had that in there with the last three because one of eggs I helped along and I just put it back in the bator to finish hatching itself. I thought the paper plate was a good idea up until this morning.

Anyone have this problem before? What should I do?

Yikes!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2011
  2. Tropical Chickies

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    UPDATE: I laid a paper towel on the floor for traction and it seems as though one of them is doing better. Maybe I should just watch them and see how it pans out.

3. boxermom&nowchicks

boxermom&nowchicks Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    Cold Spring, KY
    sorry, but I have no ideas to help you, but it sounds like the traction thing is good - good luck!

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Give them 24 hours to get their feet under them. If they are not up and moving normally, it is a condition known as spraddle leg ... search it out here on treatment. Get some bandages or pipe cleaners and have them on standby. Can be genetic but most often it is an incubation issue with temps and/or humidity being off.

5. Tropical Chickies

Aug 12, 2008
    Central Florida
    Thanks to you both. I am hoping for the best right now. I will search spraddle leg so I'm prepared. I am certain this has been caused me. I kept monkeying around inside the bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by