Chicks with umbilical stump...will they just fall off?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DawnB, Mar 11, 2013.

1. DawnB

DawnB Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi. I got 15 new chicks that are just today a week old. I have a few of them that still have a small, thin, dark (what I'm assuming) is an umbilical stump. I've been monitoring them for pasty butt and haven't had a big issue with it.

When I've tried to wipe these off, they won't budge (and I haven't pulled any!). Which is why I assume they are the umbilical cord. Will these just fall off eventually. They aren't bleeding, causing any problems and the chicks are picking at them.

Thanks so much!
    Dawn

2. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Just to be safe, I would dip the "cord" in iodine. Its not so important a week on, but before it dries out it really should be done. If it is a remnant of the attachment to the yolk, on a newborn it could be an access point for infection. I say this because it is in newborn mammals.

3. DawnB

DawnB Chillin' With My Peeps

These are all dried out already. There was no sign of any partial yolk sacs or anything (even when I just took them out of the box). If they are dried, should I still apply the iodine? Can I just use a q-tip and dab it on?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by