Chicks with "vaulted " heads?!

HoffmanHomestead

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2019
Hello my husband went to chick day at the local feed store. I gave him a very specific list of breeds but of course chicken math happened. Supposedly the seller threw in some extra chicks for free...and my husband has no idea what they are. There are 2 that have me stumped and confused. Please help me identify them. In the photo they are the black and yellow one front and center with the "bubble " looking thing on it's head and the all yellow one to the left and back a little with what I think is called a "vaulted " skull. TYA

Attachments

• 20190817_083642.jpg
    20190817_083642.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 24
Those appear to be some kind of Polish Top Hat, or other crested bird. Nothing wrong with them, just let them grow up and you'll get to see what you got from your "free extras". They're likely mixed breed honestly because top hats are not "cheap" so for them to throw a named breed of top hat in for free would be unlikely... but you never know!

Was it like a bird swap where private owners are selling?
If it was just the feed store selling they are likely Polish pure need chicks.

Our TSC marks aging chicks down dramatically to get people to buy them......it also means people are buying a lot more feed and equipment so they still do make a profit.

Was it like a bird swap where private owners are selling?
If it was just the feed store selling they are likely Polish pure need chicks.

Our TSC marks aging chicks down dramatically to get people to buy them......it also means people are buying a lot more feed and equipment so they still do make a profit.

Hello, thank you for the reply...not a private swap. Our local feed store hosts a private hatchery several times a year to sell chicks. I pray they are polish my husband wanted some. Thanks again.

Hello, thank you for the reply...not a private swap. Our local feed store hosts a private hatchery several times a year to sell chicks. I pray they are polish my husband wanted some. Thanks again.

I will guess he got his wish. :p

Be sure to let us know what they grow to look like.

Looks like a white crested black (or blue) Polish and a buff laced Polish to me.

A word to the wise.....non crested birds tend to pull on those crazy head feathers. It can cause serious injury. Be ready with additional housing/a way to separate them for their safety just in case.

Those appear to be some kind of Polish Top Hat, or other crested bird. Nothing wrong with them, just let them grow up and you'll get to see what you got from your "free extras". They're likely mixed breed honestly because top hats are not "cheap" so for them to throw a named breed of top hat in for free would be unlikely... but you never know!

Thank you for your reply. That is exciting. My husband wanted polish chickens some day, so maybe we got lucky.

the one with black definitely look like some chicks my friend got, they ended up being show quality polish chicks can't remember the names of them though. She now gets to make extra housing cause she's got 2 adult hens and a rooster and the 4 babies that were to little to tell ended up being 2 cockerels and 2 hens. They are quite the addition to her flock but we learned a valuable lesson, even with almost a mesh do not put them next to non crested there to sides to the coop and we moved some pullets out of Rhode Island Whites and boy both of them like to pull each others feathers even though they can barely fit the tip of the beak in the wire.

Back
Top Bottom