Chicks won’t go into coop on their own

LoriCx3sons

Chirping
May 11, 2022
I have some chicks, about 8 weeks old. They were introduced to the coop at about 6 weeks (first and only flock) and seem to enjoy the run. However at dusk they don’t go into the coop on their own. We have been going in and corralling them up one by one to place them in the coop, but after several whacks of hitting our head on the door and trying to coerce them to come near us so we can get a hold of them it’s getting tiresome. Any suggestions? They come out on their own in the morning.

I have one coop of older hens who never want to go in at night. My solution is to toss a Very Small handful of something they really like -- scratch grain, grapes, frozen peas, whatever -- into the coop and watch them race to get the treats.

You don't want to give them too many treats, but you also don't want them staying out all night. Or continuing to crash your head.

Welcome to BYC, where others may offer better solutions than mine. Except that you have little "night owls," hope you are enjoying your first flock!

I have one coop of older hens who never want to go in at night. My solution is to toss a Very Small handful of something they really like -- scratch grain, grapes, frozen peas, whatever -- into the coop and watch them race to get the treats.

You don't want to give them too many treats, but you also don't want them staying out all night. Or continuing to crash your head.

Welcome to BYC, where others may offer better solutions than mine. Except that you have little "night owls," hope you are enjoying your first flock!
Thanks! 😁

A dish of wet chicken feed can also work well.

It's just their usual food with water added, but most chickens think it is a great treat (and since it is their usual food, there is no need to worry about them eating "too much" and having nutritional imbalances.)

I learned the hard way that a bread crust is not good for luring chickens into the coop. The first chicken grabs the bread crust and runs out again, with all the rest following. So definitely use something they will not carry around!

I think it’s because they don’t have any older gems to “show them the way”

Attachments

• B943DD0C-6337-4059-B3B5-F63FD608112F.jpeg
    B943DD0C-6337-4059-B3B5-F63FD608112F.jpeg
    940.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 3C7A1CF7-CB0D-427F-A106-605D004E198B.jpeg
    3C7A1CF7-CB0D-427F-A106-605D004E198B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
I think it’s because they don’t have any older gems to “show them the way”

It does help to have adults to show the way, but I can see two potential issues in those photos.

First, that ramp is VERY steep -- at least 45% or possibly more. Chickens don't generally like to use a ramp that's over about 30%.

Second, while it's possible that there is ventilation that is out of the photo frame, that coop appears to lack any significant airFLOW -- meaning that it's almost certainly hot and stuffy in there.

If you prop the bottom of the ramp up on a concrete block to reduce the angle and open up some vents at the top and bottom of the roof slope the birds are more likely to want to go in. That will also provide more light inside at dusk so that they can see better to find their roost. :)

I've also discovered it can be about light. It looks really dark in there. When it's lighter outside, they don't usually prefer the darker option. If you could add a window or if you can mess with a light in there.... What I've done is hang a light (yes it's a chandelier, haha) in the corner. I switch it ON to make it lighter in there. They go in. I switch it off. I know, it sounds mean but bedtime is bedtime.

I have some chicks, about 8 weeks old. They were introduced to the coop at about 6 weeks (first and only flock) and seem to enjoy the run. However at dusk they don’t go into the coop on their own. We have been going in and corralling them up one by one to place them in the coop, but after several whacks of hitting our head on the door and trying to coerce them to come near us so we can get a hold of them it’s getting tiresome. Any suggestions? They come out on their own in the morning.

Leave them in the coop for 3 weeks. Sounds like you were almost there.

Back
Top Bottom