Chicks won't be quiet...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Griffin Nest, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    I hatched some chicks on Sunday and now they are 4 days old, but they will NOT be quiet. [​IMG] I tried everything. They have food, water, heat, a place to escape the heat, and they are still too noisy!! What's wrong? [​IMG] Oh, and there's one that pants a LOT. I mean, all the time, even when I take him OUT of the brooder, and it's 60 degrees in my house! I tried lowering the temperature in the brooder. All of the got really cold and huddled up except for that one who was still panting. He's always the loudest.

2. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Have you checked their bums? Are you sure it's panting and not straining to pass fecal matter? If they have what's called "pasty butt" (it is just what it sounds like) you'll have to carefully -carefully- clean it off with a warm wet wash cloth.

3. I assume you have food and water available all the time?? My chicks were talkative. [​IMG] They mostly settled in at night (when it was dark), but unless they were sleeping, they were usually talking.

4. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Mine got really rowdy and when they would do that I would turn the lights off except for the red light and that seemed to settle mine down. If the little one is eating, drinking, and no pasty butt...i don't have any other suggestions. Sorry.

5. ChickyLove

ChickyLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Springfield, MA.
    Are they still indoors? I tented a lightweight DARK sheet over their area (red light on) and turned on Johnny Cash. They fell asleep FAST.

6. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    they dont look at all dirty to me. they are indoors in my bathroom with the door closed so the drafts and the cats dont get to them. the red light is on 24/7 and i have a dimmer so i can set it to the temperature I want. i also have a thermometer attached to the inside of the brooder where the hottest spot is and its 95. the coldest spot in the brooder is about 85.

but i'll still see if they do have a problem. they seem to be eating and drinking and there's poo in the brooder. i clean it every 2 days (its an aquarium, not a box, so i can clean it easier and it's more sanitary)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by