chicks wont climb ramp to house?

honeybob88

Hatching
8 Years
May 11, 2011
my chicks are all feathered out and last night was the first night outside in their new pen. The ramp has stepping boards on it but they just wont go up at night and huddle on the ground. Is this something they just have to learn or figure out. I placed them in their house around midnight and this morning they wouldnt go down the ramp to come outside.
could it be they are just not used to it or does the angle have anything to do with it? Help

Sometimes putting them inside coop at night and then helping them out in the morning can help them figure it out. But if you don't have that much time for the most part they will figure it out overtime. Good luck.

Yes, pretty much the coop isn't "home" yet, and the ramp is just one more new thing to them. It'll take time. Make sure the ramp is wide - that will help a lot -not so much like "walking the plank" of a ship. And what has worked well for me every time is turning on a small light inside the coop each evening, about an hour before dark. Chickens naturally want to be where it's the most light, for safety. And as it gets dark outside, it's normally much darker inside a coop. So now, as it gets dark outside, the safest place is that lighted area inside the coop. If you don't have electricity in your coop, use a flashlight or one of those battery operated pushlights. Then just turn if off after they're safely inside. Silkies are notorious for not doing ramps (and for not being the sharpest tools in the shed), and my sikie chicks learned to go inside within two evenings. Also make sure the ramp is not too steep...

They do have to learn things, just like babies and puppies. Instead of putting them in the coop at night, try just putting them on the top of the ramp and let them take a couple of steps to get in. That's what I do. Sometimes they may not walk on the ramp on their own, but they'll walk the last part of the ramp, when the goal is close. In the morning, you can also put a little grain or seed on the ramp, to lure them out.

I also put my hands on the ramp and let them see that it's safe to touch, as they watch. I handle any object that they're afraid of and also thump it with my finger, like a chicken explores things by pecking at it. They learn a lot by watching others. You don't have to teach them, but it's a lot faster and less stressful for them.

I heard from folks here to lock them up in the new coop for a few days so they would learn that the coop was their new home and want to go in. We did not have the run secured the same time the coop was ready so they spent 6 days in the coop while we finished the run. By the time the run was ready they were ready to come out. On the very first night that they were in the run, right at dusk they all marched up the ramp and went home. Never had a problem, they do to bed everything night.

Well... I Have You All Beat! I Catch Mine And Take Them In At Night. Their Day Pen Is Up High And They Come And Go. They Have A Small Pen At Night, Enough For Three Bantams, Night Light And Safety All Night. When Will I Stop This? I Worry Too Much About Them During The Day, But I Have Cats (not Mine) At Large And Raccoons.

welcome-byc.gif

I am having a problem with 5 Silkies that refuse to use the ramp at all. They wont go up or down the ramp. I left them in for about a week or more when I first put them out, and then opened the ramp, the only ones that leave the coop are the ones that fall out :hmm. I have tried sitting them on the ramp, walking them up and down the ramp multiple times, no luck. Wait until dark and turn the light on inside, they hide under the ramp... :lau Added grip tape to thee ramp so they could get a better footing, they at least will use it when I set them on it.. but still no luck... I'm running out of ideas, they have been out for about 2 months now and just not seeing any changes happening...

Back
Top Bottom