Chicks wont climb up into their nest box??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by loraleaf, Mar 18, 2013.

1. loraleaf

loraleaf Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    I'm new to chickens...we have 4 barnyard mix and 2 seramas..hatched 2/15. Its been in the 55-70 range here in south east texas so we moved them outside to their coop last night. We put them in through the "back door" straight into the nest boxes. They had been in the coop on the ground before and never noticed the nest boxes. I was a little concerned about them getting chilly so I had my husband put their heat lamp in the coop for good measure. My question is why won't they go up into the nest box and stay there? Not a sinlge one has found the little ladder/ramp thing and gone up it to see whats going on in the nest box....it's the only solid sided part of the coop so the only place to get away from the wind...their next box is built like a "loft".......Is there something I don't know about the incline of the ramp or how to teach them to go up there? I knew chickens werent super bright or anything but they wont even stay up there in the warmth when my husband puts them in the nest box.
    Thoughts?

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    When they get older, they'll probably begin exploring more. Our chickens were hesitant to go up ramps at first also.
    Good luck!

3. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

They won't start frequenting the nest boxes until they start to lay or if they get VERY cold. Truthfully you don't want them in the nest boxes except to lay. If they sleep in the boxes they will poop in them and you will have soiled eggs. Mine (hatched 1/23) have been out in the enclosed coop when it has been -15F nightly for about a week and still just snuggled on the floor. It has been in the 20's at night now and most of the birds roost. (they are in with a few older hens so they took to the roost sooner than my first batch of chicks) So I think a low of 55 is fine even in an open coop. Do you have a roost in your coop? As they age they will roost to sleep if they are provided with a place. This has been my personal experience anyway.

Edited to fix a sentence that made no sense :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  4. loraleaf

loraleaf Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    yes they have a roost in their coop...they didnt in their brooder so I dont think they really knew how to use it. My husband tried setting them on the roost too b/c its closer to the light than the ground but one "blondie" kept trying to get under another one "goldie" so they got flustered and just jumped back down to the ground. I had read that you had to show them the food by pecking it with your finger and dipping their little beaks in the water so I told my husband to make them "walk" up the ramp into the boxes but he told me I was crazy and that they were fine! lol
    they were fine when I checked on them this morning so I guess they are warm enough....which is a good thing b/c we will be getting a new batch of 5 in a day or so and I don't want 2 brooders!
    Thanks for the imput!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by