Chicks Won't Dry....need advice!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by t42366, Oct 5, 2011.

1. t42366

t42366 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Philpot, KY
    I had 22 chicks to hatch Sunday. I removed them yesterday and put them in the brooder. I had 2 more to hatch on Monday night, both seemed to have a long hard time getting out of the shell. They are both up and walking around but will not dry out and fluff up and I am scared to move them the way they are. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help, this is my first hatch in years!

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

How about blow drying them VERY carefully?

3. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Have you let the humidity decrease in the incubator? [​IMG]

4. t42366

Jul 5, 2011
    Philpot, KY
    Quote:I haven't yet because there are still 10 eggs in there that have not hatched, didnt want to harm them.

5. t42366

Jul 5, 2011
    Philpot, KY
    Quote:I thought about this but is there a chance I could over heat them?

6. t42366

Jul 5, 2011
    Philpot, KY
    It looks to me their fluff is matted down. Is that possible?

7. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes there could be. I've been told to just set the dryer on low and never keep it still. I would also keep it far enough from their body so it's just barely blowing them. Better safe than sorry.

8. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Quote:I suspect the humidity has stopped them drying out which as you say cannot be helped as you have other eggs. Out of interest was their hard time hatching due to sticky membranes?
    I've had this before when the humidity was a tad too high, they had a hard hatch and the sticky stuff dried to them making them look wet still I ended up trying to pick the hard bits off and fluffing them out under the brooder lamp it sort of flaked off when I brushed their feathers in the wrong direction if any of that made sense lol [​IMG]

9. Grog

Grog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    I am in the middle of a rolling hatch. It started on Oct1 and should finish on sunday. What I am doin is after the chick hatches I give it a few,3ish, hours to recover and then I put them in the brooder. In my brooder at one end it is like 93-95F plus the other chicks help fluff the newcomer [​IMG]. I just watch for a bit and if they older chicks are too mean i put a divider in for a bit. Thsi has worked so far for me.

10. t42366

Jul 5, 2011
    Philpot, KY
    Quote:I suspect the humidity has stopped them drying out which as you say cannot be helped as you have other eggs. Out of interest was their hard time hatching due to sticky membranes?
    I've had this before when the humidity was a tad too high, they had a hard hatch and the sticky stuff dried to them making them look wet still I ended up trying to pick the hard bits off and fluffing them out under the brooder lamp it sort of flaked off when I brushed their feathers in the wrong direction if any of that made sense lol [​IMG]

Yes, your exactly right. The membrane seemed to stick to them and noe they have that wet, matted look. I will prob try to move them this afternoon then and put them in the brooder. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by