Chicks wont eat chick starter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SecretHavenFarm, Oct 16, 2009.

1. SecretHavenFarm

SecretHavenFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2009
    Shadow Hills, CA
    I have had my chicks for a few weeks. When I got them from my friend she told me they werent eating the chick starter and she had been mixing layers mash in with it. ok I have been doing the same thing, but I was reading on here that it could be harmful?? What should I do? or what should I feed my picky little babies?

Also I have acess to ground linseed at work, Its full of good oils, can you feed linseed to chicks/chickens?

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Grind up the chick starter for them. They should eat it just fine. Sometimes they have trouble eating the bigger stuff.

3. SecretHavenFarm

Oct 1, 2009
    Shadow Hills, CA
    my chick starter is already finely ground when I buy it. Is there anything I can add to it that healthy but will also entice them to eat it?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If it's the only thing they have to eat, trust me, they will eat it, unless it's moldy or bad somehow. Never give chicks layers feed-the calcium is way too much for their bodies and the protein is not high enough.

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    If they can eat layer feed they can eat chick starter without it ground up. Just take out the layer feed. They won't starve themselves. Also are you sure they aren't eating anything? They probably need less of the chick starter since it's higher protein so the level may not go down as fast as with the layer.

6. SecretHavenFarm

Oct 1, 2009
    Shadow Hills, CA
    ahh ok that makes sence if they are eating less because they dont need as much. I will deffinatly not be feeding the layer mash anymore. Thanks guys [​IMG]

7. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    If I'm ever worried about my girls not eating I just feel their crops. They are usually near empty in the morning but pretty full most other times. Feel for a lump below their throat, above where you'd expect their heart to be.

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:This. My second batch of chicks seemed to eat a lot less - then it dawned on me that I'm feeding Purina Flock Raiser this time instead of Dumor Starter.
    Apparently there's a big difference in the ammount of "fillers" even though they're made at the same mills.

Also birds out on the yard eat considerably less than when they're confined in the brooder, but you didn't mention them eating grass or anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by