1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks won't eat HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by junebug2337, Mar 30, 2017.

1. junebug2337

junebug2337 Just Hatched

Mar 30, 2017
    We got 9 chicks about 6 weeks ago and they are all fully feathered. I have been reading and it says to start chicks on pullet grower about this time. I have been feeding them IFA chick starter and just switched over to Nutrina nature smart chick starter grower and their food consumption has gone down to where they are almost eating nothing. They have been scratching the floor looking for their old food. The starter was like a powder almost, the new food is a crumble. Any suggestions on what to do?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I havent heard of pullet grower, we usually just feed chick starter until they lay and we switch them over to layer feed... I would think at least for now to give them their baby food back if they flat out aren't eating the other stuff

1 person likes this.
  3. junebug2337

junebug2337 Just Hatched

Mar 30, 2017
    OK I will try that thank you! Do your chicks ever have problems switching from starter to layer feed?

4. Stephine

Stephine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    Did you just switch them cold turkey? Any change to their feed should be done gradually, so start by giving them their old feed with just a little of the new mixed in and then gradually increase the ratio of new to old feed. If they are still not eating it that way I would look for a different grower feed.

1 person likes this.
  5. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Not usually, we do it a little bit gradually, but not for longer than a week or two before fully switching. By the time they eat it its because their body is telling them they need to because it has the calcium and such they need for eggs :)

1 person likes this.
  6. junebug2337

junebug2337 Just Hatched

Mar 30, 2017
    Thank you so much everybody for your help!

7. junebug2337

junebug2337 Just Hatched

Mar 30, 2017
    I really appreciate it

8. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    I personally don't believe in all this tailored diet stuff.
    If they were naturally hatched and raised outdoors free ranging, they'd eat the same thing everybody else does.

I feed my chicks the same things the big birds eat.
    Scratch, pellets, chicken, eggs, bread, they don't care, and they are growing right along.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by