Chicks won't eat scraps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by happima, Oct 16, 2011.

1. happima

happima Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2011
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My almost 6 week chicks love their Purina starter feed and scratch, but they won't go for anything else. I've tried meal worms, spinach, scrambled eggs, apples, yogurt, oatmeal and cooked carrots.

Do they need to eat fresh food for their health? Any recommendations on how to get them to try this other stuff?

2. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    I have this problem too. Giving them variety of treats each day, didnt eat a thing. Once I find something, that's going to be their "ice cream"

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

The starter feed is all they need. They will be fine.
    Birds in general are afraid of new foods, so sometimes it takes several tries for them to get brave enough to eat it.
    Keep trying. Remember when they do start eating treats they will need grit for digestion.

Imp- Best of Luck

4. JHillgrove

JHillgrove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    My chicks always took a while to eat other things. They are nervous, even when other chickens are eating it like candy, they will stay back and not come anywhere near it. But they will eventually try it, and love it just like the others.

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    well thats because you have not tried the 3 best foods Rice, Spaghetti and watermelon [​IMG]

6. happima

Sep 14, 2011
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Quote:Spaghetti worked! They chased each other around like they were eating worms. [​IMG]

So how should I prepare the watermelon? Just stick a slice in the coop?

Put in a corn on the cob this morning. Was left untouched all day.

7. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Spaghetti worked! They chased each other around like they were eating worms. [​IMG]

I pick the seeds out for them when they are little but I tend to be over protective. [​IMG] Just put a slice in and stand back......watermellon will fly!

Make sure you give them grit if they are eating foods that are not mushy.

8. Mudsow

Mudsow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2009
    Mealworms too? Gosh my 3 week olds have been MANIACS for those and dried crickets. (turtle food)

9. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I've found that they generally need a bold chick to take the plunge fiirst and let Everyone know its ok. The way a mama hen would. Believe it or not, I find it helps to "chuc chuuckk' to them the way mama would do...like, here's food! I say " what'sis?" Here chickies, "whatsis?" My older hens now see that as the call for food and come running wherever theyy are to get to it.

10. happima

Sep 14, 2011
    San Francisco Bay Area

I pick the seeds out for them when they are little but I tend to be over protective. [​IMG] Just put a slice in and stand back......watermellon will fly!

Make sure you give them grit if they are eating foods that are not mushy.

I have sand on the floor of their coop which they seem to peck at and consume all day long. Does that count as grit?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by