Chicks won't eat scraps

DeepDishChix

Chirping
May 23, 2015
Hello,
I recently put my 5 week old chicks outside. We gave them some watermelon rinds that still had red on them, and I came the next day they still hadn't eaten them. Please help!
idunno.gif

Thank you.

It took a while for my chicks to start eating scraps. Mine love cucumber and romaine lettuce. Just keep trying little things. I actually just picked up a watermelon so tomorrow I'll see if my chicks like it.

Thanks! It's kind of funny, because as soon as I posted the question I went out to check on them and they were eating the swiss chard scraps we gave them. So, yay, I guess
celebrate.gif

Mine don't eat much aside from crumbles yet either, though every day they try a bit more. I watched one eat an ant yesterday, and a couple have been eating some weeds. They'll act like chickens eventually!

My hens LOVE watermelon on a hot day. Just give them some time to figure out new foods. Sometimes they are too scared to try it but someone usually gets brave enough.

At first mine ignored watermelon.

Now...though not quite as insanity inducing as grapes (seriously....the girls go nuts for grapes!) they still enjoy it.

They just need to figure it out

Back
Top Bottom