Chicks wont eat there food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Whitewinterwolf, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    I have switched my 12 week old hens over to the grower/finisher or what ever you call it, and they will not eat it. They are literally starving themselves.
    They will eat the chick starter, but wont touch the other stuff. I finally caved and gave them the chick starter back today because of how thin they have become.
    I dont know what to do, they need to eat, but at the same time they can not stay on the chick starter?
    I feed pulin, and or purina when my brand is out.
    What should I do?
    I do see them eat when they are hungry enough, but they are getting so thin and I hardly ever have to fill the feed bowel...Any ideas?

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Did you change from crumble to pellets? Sometimes that throws them off. Otherwise, mix the chick starter with the grow out kibble and maybe some scratch feed. They won't be able to pick out just the chick crumbles and will eventually eat the big girl food.

3. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Maybe when you give them scratch, you can throw out the feed with the scratch until they are used to the feed. If nothing works, most chick starters you can give them until 18 weeks of age.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Sounds like the new food is pellets while the old is a crumble. Might have to get layer crumble instead of pellets. Then when that's gone, they'll know the pellets are food, at least. Sometimes you do have to starve them a bit to get them to eat something. But there is a limit to that.

5. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    But I ordered crumble? It is bigger then what they are used to, I do see them eat it when they are famished but I want them to actually eat and be happy. Maybe I should get the mash next time and see if thats even smaller.

Oh there is an idea, thank you!

I asked for crumble, but the food is bigger then what they are used to? Ill mix the food together and see what happens.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Smell the feed and make sure that it is fresh and does not look or smell spoiled or moldy.

7. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    It smells like it always does, which I think is a good thing.
    I sifted threw it and searched for wet spots or mold, and nothing which I think is also a good thing.
    I ended up going back and showing them the food, they said that it was a crumble, however the brand of food does not have very small crumbles like the chick starter. They switched them over to the Purina crumble which is JUST like the chick starter crumble. So keep your fingers crossed that this does the trick!

8. Weenlavs

Weenlavs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    Animals r smart dumb and stuborn! They have an instint to survive but will push the pampering if they can. I would recomend sticking with the finisher laywr food you are using try to put some marbles in the dish to get them pecking at it and or put a splash of molases on the food nothing can resist molases.

9. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Oh i don't want to hear it, they can be just as dumb as we are sometimes. If they don't like it, they wont always eat it. I had a hen die once because she refused to eat the pellets and I never realized she was not eating until it was to late. That stereotype does not always apply and I don't want to loose my birds again, they are so thin now I can feel there breast bone poking threw, they have been on a hunger strike for the past 8 weeks and its not healthy.

10. bird boy

bird boy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2012
    Mix some layers crumble with the chick starter. The chicks will not notice much difference and will get the benifit of the calcium. You can always mix a bit of whatever you use as a finisher with it. Eventually you can switch to layers crumble or pellets when they get bigger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by