chicks won't eat treats

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lowry075, Jun 6, 2011.

1. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    Hi, I have the opposite problem that is a few posts down...my chicks, who are between two and three weeks old, will not eat yogurt or meal worms. I tried to give the older one a meal worm (small sized) and she just looked at it like it was a gross bug. They have no interest in yogurt either.[​IMG]

What gives?[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It is instictual for babies to not eat anything they are not familar with so as to stay alive. It takes a while for babies to try and LIKE new foods. Just keep trying and in a few months they will eat just about anything!! [​IMG]

3. Chocobo

Chocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    I had the same problem. What worked for me was I left a tiny dish of yogurt in the brooder mixed with crumbles so they could explore and eat it at their own leisure. Did the same thing next day with mashed up boiled egg.
    They must have learned they liked it because the next time I tried to give them either they practically devoured my hand! [​IMG]

4. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    with the yogurt i had to sprinkle their crumbs on top like peanuts on a sundae to get them to eat it! R u giving "live" mealworms? If u aren't they prob aren't interested cuz they arne't wriggling around! Keep trying. Mine have loved treats since they were 2 weeks old!!

5. Pinx

Pinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Amarillo, Texas
    I've got a tri of chickens that are about 10 weeks, I can put anything in front of them and they about break their neck to look under or around it. They aren't bright. lol. I have to toss a piece in front of them for them to "chase" it, after a couple times of this they realize its good and go to town on it.

6. Justhatched

Justhatched Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    The first time I gave our chicks yogurt they didn't eat it either. They stayed away from it.[​IMG]:tongue I put it in a dish thinking they would eat it. Nope. The next day I put it on top of their mash. They had to eat it to get to their mash. It didn't take long for them to devour it. Now every morning they can't wait for it.[​IMG] They run around the brooder anxiously waiting for the yogurt. Just give it time.[​IMG]

7. ChiknMama

ChiknMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Do the chicks need grit before eating treats?? New here too and just want to make sure before I give them anything. Thanks

8. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Mine weren't interested in treats until nearly laying age!
    Now they enjoy a wider variety.

9. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    just one of those things with the little ones, i don't usually offer treats till a bit later on now as (especially with yoghurt) they just get covered in it without any entering their mouths! keep on persisting if you wish at least they will become accustomed to it earlier. I know my chickies loved green vegatation in small quantites, they found it interesting to play with and have a quick munch [​IMG] just make sure they have access to grit so they can digest these new things properly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by