Chicks won't get on roost

Neighborhood Chickens

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2020
Hudson, CO
We have a new bunch of 18 chicks. They range from 2 to 4 months old and we have had them about 3 weeks. The place we got them from just had a box they went into a night. No roost so they slept on the floor in a bunch. We have a beautiful hen house that is 8' X 10' with ample room and several roosts. But they insist on sleeping in the same bunch right inside the door all huddled together. They are not cold - We are in CO and it is warm. We figured instinct would take over soon after they got used to being here and they would go to the roost at night. They get on it all the time in the daytime but won't go on at night. Will they ever go to the roost at night on their own? If we go out there after they are asleep they all move around and I cannot imagine trying to catch them or get them to stay on the roost even if we could catch them. Suggestions? We are going into fall and soon winter. We fear they will be too cold on the floor for winter even though it is well insulated. Thank you!

WindingRoad

Songster
Nov 21, 2018
Maine
We have a new bunch of 18 chicks. They range from 2 to 4 months old and we have had them about 3 weeks. The place we got them from just had a box they went into a night. No roost so they slept on the floor in a bunch. We have a beautiful hen house that is 8' X 10' with ample room and several roosts. But they insist on sleeping in the same bunch right inside the door all huddled together. They are not cold - We are in CO and it is warm. We figured instinct would take over soon after they got used to being here and they would go to the roost at night. They get on it all the time in the daytime but won't go on at night. Will they ever go to the roost at night on their own? If we go out there after they are asleep they all move around and I cannot imagine trying to catch them or get them to stay on the roost even if we could catch them. Suggestions? We are going into fall and soon winter. We fear they will be too cold on the floor for winter even though it is well insulated. Thank you!
If they go in too late and it's already dark out they can't see the roost. Chickens are basically blind when it's dark. You will be able to catch them as they won't be able to see you. I hold my flashlight behind me with just enough light for me to see. So go out before it's totally dark and get them on the roosts. I have mine roost in the same spot every night. If they roost where they don't belong I move them. Night time in the coop is also a good time to check feet, crops, etc. I even sing a lullaby. Lullaby and good night my babies are sleeping.........And pat them too socializing them slowly.

Aapomp831

Songster
Oct 4, 2017
Lincolnton, NC
If they go in too late and it's already dark out they can't see the roost. Chickens are basically blind when it's dark. You will be able to catch them as they won't be able to see you. I hold my flashlight behind me with just enough light for me to see. So go out before it's totally dark and get them on the roosts. I have mine roost in the same spot every night. If they roost where they don't belong I move them. Night time in the coop is also a good time to check feet, crops, etc. I even sing a lullaby. Lullaby and good night my babies are sleeping.........And pat them too socializing them slowly.
😅 so glad to hear it... I’m not the only one who sings to my chickens. Thought I might be insane 🤣

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
They get on it all the time in the daytime but won't go on at night. Will they ever go to the roost at night on their own?
Are there windows in the coop to add some light inside the coop?
Even if there are you might try putting a light on and hour before roosting time then turning it off when you lock up after dark.
I use a battery operated puck light for this purpose.

thepick4uchicks

Songster
May 23, 2020
Mississippi
Are they from the same place I am assuming ? Yes the box at night place? Well they are so used to that it will take a while for them to adjust. The bigger girls are already older than some of the ages at which many breeds would already naturally be learning to roost. But I think if you give them time they will get it. You can give them some time yet and if they don’t take to it right off this winter just put a thick layer of bedding down for them at the start. They will figure out that warm air rises the first snowfall. If you have deep litter they’re gonna be plenty warm down there also until they all adjust. My 19 week old pullets roost but even in Mississippi heat they love to roost in a big clump together. It’s a wonder they have not suffocated.

Top Bottom