Chicks Won't Go in Coop at Night

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by guatemalamom, Aug 22, 2014.

1. guatemalamom

guatemalamom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2014
    My fiancee' and i are new to raising chicks and have a question....We have 3 laying hens that we got as adults....we have 4 girls who are almost 5 months old (light brahmas and silver-laced wyandottes)....we have 8 girls who are 6 weeks old (ameracaunas, buff orpingtons, australorps, and frizzles). We cannot get them to go into their coops at night for anything....we have tried putting them in the coop when the laying hens go in, we have tried keeping them in the coop for a few days to try to teach them, and we put the older girls in with the hens hoping the hens would show them the ropes,so to speak, all to no avail. Other than the occasional "argument" the pecking order is well established and they seem to get along well. Any ideas on what else to try or insight on where we are going wrong? They are "safe" under the coops, but it isnt' what is best, we don't think. Thanks for any help!

Rhonda

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Very frequently such problems are caused by the larger birds pecking at the smaller birds. The 'occasional argument' may be more than enough to force the smaller birds outside. Is there any way that the coop could be divided until the smaller birds mature?

3. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Block the spot they are trying to roost in and see if that helps. It is really hard to get an older flock to mix, I went through hell trying to mix older birds with younger ones. It wasn't easy and it took forever!

4. CharterChick

CharterChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2014
    Aberdeen, WA
    My Coop
    I have a very similar situation and I built another coop. I would put the young in with the older ones I was given and out of nowhere a little was killed. I don't know who did it I just separated them and now all is well. They are all happy!

5. guatemalamom

guatemalamom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2014
    I wasn't clear...sorry....The 6 week old chicks are in their own run and separate coop....The middle ones are with the hens but do have their own coop as well....i will try blocking the area where they are sleeping to try to force them inside....thanks!

6. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Sorry I am so late with this but I just remembered a helpful hint. Put a light on inside the coop so it shines through the door so they can see to get in. It helped me. I was having problems when they were first let out and someone told me this trick and it worked hope it helps you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by