Chicks wont go to hen house

TT43

Songster
Aug 26, 2019
Help! My 12 weeks old chicks were attacked one morning when I let them out of the coop. One survived out of 4. I got 2 new 8 week old chicks to keep Fluffy company. Now none of them will willingly go into the Hen house to sleep. I've locked them all in there for 2 days and it's been in 30's at night and they still dont want to go in there. They want to sleep in the fenced area of their coop. My oldest chick used to go in there at dusk before the attack.
What do I do?

What do I do?
Keep putting them in there at night.
How long since the attack and how long since new birds were added?
...and think about why they won't go in.
Enough space..might be having integration squabbles?
Enough ventilation?
Enough light...are there windows in coop to let in light?
Might want to put a battery operated puck light in coop just before dusk,
then turn it off when you lock up.
Pics of your coop might help here.

I had a similar situation not long ago. I integrated new/young birds in to the established flock. After about a week of putting them in the coop, they pretty much got the picture and now go in on their own.

I would also consider everything that @aart has suggested.

It could be related to the attack. It's possible the two new ones aren't ready to roost and prefer sleeping on the ground instead of in the coop, Your one older one wants to keep them company instead of being on its own. I find that with an elevated coop young ones often prefer to sleep on the ground in the run where I don't have this problem with a coop on the ground. Photos might help, we might see something, but I'd guess it is one of these two.

In either case the solution is the same. As Aart mentioned, put them in the coop at night until they get the message. After it is dark they are usually easy to catch. I have to do this regularly with broods of around 20 chicks. Sometimes they all catch on in a day or two. It has taken as long as three weeks before the last ones caught on. Typically it takes about a week but each group is different.

Good luck!

It could be related to the attack. It's possible the two new ones aren't ready to roost and prefer sleeping on the ground instead of in the coop, Your one older one wants to keep them company instead of being on its own. I find that with an elevated coop young ones often prefer to sleep on the ground in the run where I don't have this problem with a coop on the ground. Photos might help, we might see something, but I'd guess it is one of these two.

In either case the solution is the same. As Aart mentioned, put them in the coop at night until they get the message. After it is dark they are usually easy to catch. I have to do this regularly with broods of around 20 chicks. Sometimes they all catch on in a day or two. It has taken as long as three weeks before the last ones caught on. Typically it takes about a week but each group is different.

Good luck!
Thank you. I will post picks of coop. Coop is plenty big with 2 nesting boxes. It was fine for the 4 I originally had. These new ones were sleeping in a barn stall before I got them. I'll keep catching and putting them in there. The copper also has a window, plenty of ventilation, shavings that the chicks like on the floor of it, food and water inside. The run has since been added to.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190802-183025_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190802-183025_Facebook.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20190802-183022_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190802-183022_Facebook.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 6
Unfortunately that coop is a bit small especially for integration, so if the older bird doesn't want the younger ones to go in, they won't, and that might be keeping them all out. It also likely lacks sufficient light and ventilation (which is a common problem with prefabs), so sounds like the chickens are voting with their feet and choosing to stay outside.

I will post picks of coop.
Are those your pics or the manufacturers pics?
What are the dimensions, measure or post a link to product?
Would be good to see pics of your set up.

Unfortunately that coop is a bit small especially for integration, so if the older bird doesn't want the younger ones to go in, they won't, and that might be keeping them all out. It also likely lacks sufficient light and ventilation (which is a common problem with prefabs), so sounds like the chickens are voting with their feet and choosing to stay outside.
Ditto Dat^^^

Here's another issue you might be facing, and an excellent solution to it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-in-nest-boxes.1134399/page-2#post-17749535

Oh, and....Welcome to BYC! @TT43
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-11-7_6-40-16.png

Back
Top Bottom