chicks won't leave coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aafairchild, Sep 24, 2012.

1. aafairchild

aafairchild Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2012
    Hi All,

My chicks have been living outside in a playpen for almost 2 weeks. I finally moved them to the just finished coop last night at bedtime. Opened the doors today, my ladies won't come outside. They will be 6 weeks old on Thursday and are pretty fully feathered so temps here in central TX are unlikely to be a problem. Any suggestions on getting the girls to start exploring the yard? Also what is the best way to provide them a dust bath? A tub full of dirt or sand? My yard is way to hard for the them to get any dust.

Thanks
    Alice

2. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    It always takes chickens time to adjust to anything new. They are just naturally cautious. They will start to explore on their own once they decide it's safe to come out, no worries. You can loosen your soil up a bit for them with a shovel or rototiller, they will do the rest.

3. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    My girls just went outside from the coop today. I had to encourage them out the pop door because it was really scary from their point of view I guess. They would come to the door kind of poke their head out and then go back in and stand there and cheep. I think it just takes them some time to figure out the ramp. My last girls were the same but they eventually came out on their own (they were also older than this group). I built a wood bottomless box and filled it with sand for dust baths but they still did them where they thought it was best. Good luck with your girls.[​IMG]

4. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I agree, young chicks do need time to adjust to all things new. But, while chickens are naturally cautious, they are also naturally curious so they will eventually come out. Try taking them out with you and showing them how to go up and down the ramp to and from the coop, that can help. Also scattering some of their favorite treats just outside the door will lure them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by