Chicks won't leave the coop!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gerry2011, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    My 5 week old chicks have to be kicked out of the coop every day. After they're out they are fine, chicken games galore, graze, etc. etc. and come evening they go back in. I haven't any older chickens to show the way, but they will sit in the pop door way and look out, but forget about taking that first step! [​IMG] We moved them into the coop last Friday and this giving them the boot is getting old. [​IMG] Bribery is not working either [​IMG]

2. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    Are they being picked on by the other chickens? I have a group right now that don't want to leave the roost, but they are gradually venturing further each day.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  3. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    You may just want to try and leave them to figure it out themselves.

4. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:x2 keep bribing them with treats outside only and then they eventually get bored and go out side

5. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I guess I need to be more patient, but that's not my strong suit:( they are the only chickens I have, so I think that by not having an older "person" to show them it's safe to go out, it will take more time...and patience. I kept reading about other people having trouble with their birds not going back in the coop, but mine just are chicken I guess [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by