Chicks wont roost!

JakRat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Dover
Well they may be getting into the pullet stage, but they will not roost! Should we put them up on it? Right now they are still sleeping in the same arrangement that they have had since i brought them home a month and a half ago. We have two for them and they just dont care. They will roost on the coop door base during the day and on their sand box edges... sigh babies!

they will get it...how high up is your roost? Can they reach it on their own?
I have 3 9 week olds (plus my 20 week olds) they all roost...they will pick it up, they will cuddle even when roosting...

mine actually did it at about 3 days old...I provided them with a mini roost in their brooder...too cute!

68634_dsc_0200.jpg

Last edited:
Hi JakRat!

That's pretty normal. As they get older, they will start to roost on their own. I know some people will arrange them at night, and fuss over them, but it has to do with their age in my opinion.

They'll roost when they're ready.

I would just make sure they can't get into the nesting boxes at night to sleep, because that's a bad habit they seem to enjoy. (Then you'll have poopy eggs.)

Quote:
I had that problem with my last chicks. We wont put the boxes in until they are of laying age. I have one that is almost three months old! The roost isnt any higher than the door to get out of the coop, and it is an inch by inch roost. Weirdos!!! It is cute seeing them cuddle, but their poop is getting on them!

Dearest JakRat,

We now have girls around 3 1/2 months old as well as some who are just at 4 weeks. Point is, if you make the roost accessible, they'll roost. The very 1st roost we made for the girls (a week after they were born) was only 7 or 8" off the ground... once it was dug down into the mulch (for stability) it was only about 3 or 4" off the mulch and was very easy for them to climb, stumble and flutter onto. It kinda served as a training roost. The girls will only go as high as they feel comfortable, so if they're still a bit smaller or just not used to being up that high... gradually raise your roost and they get more comfortable as time goes on. Start with it barely off the ground and after they seem adjusted, move it up little by little. Be patient and don't move it up to quickly or they go back to their old spots. My girls are always trying to get higher than each other.. playing a sorta "king of the mountain".. Yours will get the hang of it! Just think baby steps
yippiechickie.gif

Mine are 4 weeks old and while they don't roost at night, they play on it during the day. The advice I've gotten from here is to just provide it and let them do their own thing.

Will do! We had a "training" roost for them until the our Maran Dottie broke it. She thinks she is little but after looking at her today I think she will start laying sooner than later.

Back
Top Bottom