Chicks won't sleep in coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Skilady, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Skilady

Skilady In the Brooder

Jun 29, 2017
    Hi there, I have six chicks who are six weeks old. I live in Utah where it's hot during the day and about 65 in the evenings. For the last two weeks I have moved my chicks brooder into the garage and they have been without their heat lamp for about a week and a half. There were no chick complaints when I turned off the heat lamp even though the garage was dark. I've had them spend their days outside in a dog crate and nights back in the brooder in the garage. They have outgrown the brooder, are feathered out, and ready to move to the coop.

My husband completed the basics of the coop, but didn't finished the door, floor, run , or nesting boxes before he had to leave for a work trip. Basically they have walls, a roof, and a roost at this time.

I have had the chicks spend the last two full days in their coop without any free range in hopes to get them adjusted to their permanent home. They do great during the day and seem quite content. However, once it begins getting dark they start squawking loudly! I can hear them from inside the house. The last two nights I've given in after listening to over an hour of upset chick cries and moved them back to the brooder, but tonight I really want us to be successful! What can I do to get them to accept their new home at night?

2. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler

Oct 10, 2016
    Southern Ohio
    At dark place them in the coop on the roost and lock them in. They have to get use to that being home now. They will eventually start going in themselves.

My ones took a few days before they would put themselves up. My bantams took 2 weeks.

3. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Crowing

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Agree.
    They will probably complain loudly about it. Chickens, like most other animals, are creatures of habit, and they don't like change.

AlleysChicks likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: