Chicks won't stop trying to eat pine shavings

rascal66

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 10, 2015
Washington
As the tittle says, I have a few Cornish chicks that do whatever they can to scratch away the paper towel and dig and eat the pine shavings underneath.... Not sure how to persuade them to stop. :( unless I just cut it out or replace with hay maybe?

Just take out the shavings underneath or make sure they are the large flake and not mini flake. Some are more determined than others to eat it and it can kill your chick. You could try sand underneath. I’m using the same setup but luckily mine aren’t eating it when they dig along the sides. I do like paper towels though as it’s easier to keep the smell down in the house.

Just take out the shavings underneath or make sure they are the large flake and not mini flake. Some are more determined than others to eat it and it can kill your chick. You could try sand underneath. I’m using the same setup but luckily mine aren’t eating it when they dig along the sides. I do like paper towels though as it’s easier to keep the smell down in the house.

+1 on the large flake. I had the same problem with my chicks eating the small pieces. I switched to a larger flake, mana pro I believe it was, and haven't had the problem since.

Agrees large flake.
Are they Cornish Cross meat birds?
How much space do they have...and how old and how many?

Thank you all for your responses! The Cornish are about a week old, and the flakes aren't tiny but there are some smaller pieces that they are able to peck and eat... I don't have grit on hand but ill consider grabbing some for the future.
I only have 4 of the chicks, and I have them in a larger plastic bin. They definitely have lots of space until maybe they're closer to 3/4 weeks.
Anyone have experience with hay? I think the only concern I would have is the dust.

Thank you all for your responses! The Cornish are about a week old, and the flakes aren't tiny but there are some smaller pieces that they are able to peck and eat... I don't have grit on hand but ill consider grabbing some for the future.
I only have 4 of the chicks, and I have them in a larger plastic bin. They definitely have lots of space until maybe they're closer to 3/4 weeks.
Anyone have experience with hay? I think the only concern I would have is the dust.

I am using a hay, straw pdz mix in my coop but my chicks are much older. (7 weeks). My younger chicks are on paper flakes and I am sure they are not eating them. They love them btw. It's so much fun to watch them dust bathe in them! (5 weeks).

I found that i might not have been giving anyone enough grit. I gave my younger chicks a bowl of grit and they fell on it like it was food. Fortunately they had only been eating crumbles 99.9% of the time. But think it shows their propensity to eat grit.

This is just my experience with my first flock. I'm no expert but I have had to use alternatives to wood shavings because of allergies. The straw, hay, pdz seems to be dustier than paper. But paper is plenty dusty!

But think it shows their propensity to eat grit.
Or to gorge on something new.
I don't put grit out in a dish, even for the older birds...
....I occasionally add some to daily scratch grains spread out in run.

http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf.

I bought about a 2 gallon bag of granite grit from the local mill, they put it in their chicken scratch. Ran it thru a colander with 1/16" holes. Bagged the smaller stuff for the chicks and sprinkle some over a chunk of sod in the brooder during the second week.

Back
Top Bottom