chicks wrecking havoc in bedding

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by critterwhisper, Feb 21, 2013.

1. critterwhisper

critterwhisper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    My older batch of chicks are 2 1/2 weeks old and them girls are seeming to scratch up and fling their shavings everywhere and i mean litterally flinging,is this normal behavior( i know chickens scratch up dirt but boy these girls bring a whole new meaning to it) Also my area is expecting a snow/ice storm tonight and may loose power in my rual area,the bigger girls dont concern me as much but i also have 6 week old chicks in another brooder who are still much dependent on their heat lamp,how will this effect them if power goes out and how can i keep them warm?thanks

2. SmallFlocker207

SmallFlocker207 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2013
    if you have a well sealed brooder, they should be fine for about an hour or two. when the power goes out they will flip out and run to find each and will huddle up imedietly because they are simply scared. And, it is normal for them to fling litter, they get enthused and look for food.

3. Ladybug2001

Ladybug2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Definitely normal. My only concern when they do that is they get it in their water.

4. critterwhisper

critterwhisper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    The lil girls brooder is 15 1/2 inches high.I change their water first thing in the morning,when i get home from work and before i turn in for the night lol. One of the big girls has a thing where she gets on top of their 1 gallon waterer and sleeps or pokes her head up my their screen to watch what is going on.lol.Thank you for easing my mind on if the power goes out on the babies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by