Chicks you hatched and chicks from the store?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cutechick53, Jan 27, 2015.

1. cutechick53

cutechick53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Arizona
    So I am planning to hatch some of my own chicks, but my incubator only hatches 3 eggs. I want a number of 5 chickens, but is it ok if I mix the chicks from the store and the ones that I hatch? I don't know if the store chicks have any diseases that could transfer to the home- hatched chicks?

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    It will be fine to mix the chicks. There are some things to think about though.

Have you incubated before? Things don't always go as planned. All 3 may not hatch. If they do some may be cockerels. Do you have a plan for the males? You may need more than just 2 hatchery chicks to reach your total of 5.

3. Kadu

Kadu Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Fayetteville, AR
    Well I think even home-hatched ones can get diseases... I would mix them and give them medicated feed. Just to be on the safe side =D

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I would mix them, and make your well informed decision about whether you plan to use medicated feed. Chicks from a hatchery are not much more likely to get coccidiosis than home hatched chicks. My flock was started with chicks hatched in my home made incubator, and I added 6 hatchery chicks to the 5 that I hatched. I have never used medicated feed, instead, opting to give them fresh sod from my yard to help them develop a healthy immune system. Have never had coccidiosis in any of the flocks I've had.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  5. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    what kind of incubator do you have? a chick-a-bator or a digital one? Have you successfully hatched with your incubator before this?
    thanks, karen

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  6. cutechick53

cutechick53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Arizona
    A digital Brinsea Incubator, and I've never used it before, so I think I'm gonna hatch the chicks first then buy more chicks. @3riverschick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by