Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Avila78, May 23, 2016.

1. Avila78

Avila78 New Egg

Oct 25, 2015
    My chicks (2) are six weeks old one fully feather the other is not. My brooder bulb broke. I put another bulb in that I had. My house temp is between 70 -75 all day and night. Are they going to be ok? The bulb I had was a 60 watt energy saving builb (CFL).

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] That temperature is warm enough for 6 week old chicks, yes. How far along did the chick's feathering get to? If it doesn't have too much catching up to do, it should be o.k. to go outside soon, provided it's not too cold out there.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Try taking your chicks on day time outings, even if the days are cool, to get them accustomed to cooler temps. After several days of this, they will be ready to move out of your warm house into the coop without any extra heat.

4. Avila78

Avila78 New Egg

Oct 25, 2015
    The one that is not feathered is about 90%. I am in Southern New England and weather can quickly this week 70-80 during the day and as low as 40 at night. I can fit the brooder on my deck so when sun is out and I am home they will be out

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    At 6 weeks old they should be completely hardened off and off supplemental heat. My 5 week old chicks have been outside since 1.5 weeks old), and I turned their heating pad off for good last week, took it away Friday night. They are all roosting now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by