Chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jen olley, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Jen olley

Jen olley Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2017
    So need some advice, I have two silkies and one is a male which where we live can't keep. Atm they are 12 weeks old. I have two other big girls and they have been living together for 2 weeks now my question is when can I look to rehome the male?

rjohns39 and Robin37 like this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you are sure that he is a cockerel, start trying now. It can be difficult finding a home for a cockerel.

Robin37 likes this.
  3. Robin37

Robin37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2017
    Lavonia GA
    My Coop
    :welcome Jen. I would start looking for him a home now if I were you. Mine started crowing between 12 - 16 weeks

4. Jen olley

Jun 26, 2017
    He has been practicing a few times but I have found a new home for him with some other silkies who don't have a male yet and plus side is I can visit every time I go to get feed

drumstick diva, rjohns39 and sourland like this.
  5. Taysherm

Taysherm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Glad you found him a good home. We had a chick named Shelia. Turns out Shelia was really a Helia (rooster). We were lucky that a friend wanted a free rooster for their flock.

rjohns39 likes this.
  6. Jen olley

Jun 26, 2017
    Yeah we have been lucky to fund a great home. But I still not sure when I can separate him from his sister.

7. rjohns39

rjohns39 Chicken Obsessed

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to byc :frow Great to know you found him a new home.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you have a home lined up for him. It's very difficult rehoming cockerels because most people cannot keep any. Maybe you can get a new silkie friend for the sister.

9. Jen olley

Jun 26, 2017
    We do have two other chickens aswell they all get on just the other girls are a lot bigger so would you recommend another silkies for fluffy (silkies girl lol) this is them

Attached Files:

10. Nyla

Nyla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2017
    Northern, Indiana
    I wanted to say something.. Please don't criticize what I'm about to say!
    Okay so for those who want to keep a rooster in an area where roosters are not aloud, you can get a no crow collar. It makes the crowing lower. I had a beloved pet chickens whom was sold to me as a pullet but quickly turned rooster... I loved him so much I couldn't let him go. So I came across a no crow collar. It worked fantastic! His crows were so little it sounded like someone screaming from the attic. I couldn't even hear him from inside my house or outside on my street. My neighbors didn't even know I had a rooster. They thought it was wild birds. And I had neighbors on each side and behind me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by