Chicks

That is funny that you say that about the play house because I was thinking of that as well.
This is my current coop. I'm building a larger coop now, but progress is somewhat slow for me now.
0311151441-00(1).jpg
0311151441-01.jpg

I dont have the nesting boxes in yet because they're only 4 weeks old but heres mine. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on if this is ok or if I need to change things around then I'm all ears.

Heat lamp doesnt have a heat bulb in there either. Just a 25w bulb because the chicks are scared of the dark.

Attachments

• IMG_20200318_141925_357.jpg
    IMG_20200318_141925_357.jpg
    974.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200325_193733.jpg
    20200325_193733.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 4
Also, if anyone has any suggestions
You will need some more ventilation. Ideally you could do it in top portion of door. The overhang protects from rain getting in. I also think replacing that front window with a clear plastic window would give your chickens much appreciated daylight inside.

I also don't think you need a NESTING BOX. You can just place some hay (or nesting material of your choice) into a box, or basket, and chickens will use it just fine. Very easy to just reach down and pick up eggs,,,,, VS reaching into a box especially when limited to crawl into height.

You will need some more ventilation. Ideally you could do it in top portion of door. The overhang protects from rain getting in. I also think replacing that front window with a clear plastic window would give your chickens much appreciated daylight inside.

I also don't think you need a NESTING BOX. You can just place some hay (or nesting material of your choice) into a box, or basket, and chickens will use it just fine. Very easy to just reach down and pick up eggs,,,,, VS reaching into a box especially when limited to crawl into height.
Thank you. Adding ventilation to the door should be easy. For the window, do they sell that plastic at lowes or home depot? (If you know).

I was thinking about just adding some hay in a box but have been told chickens like to lay up high? I also have read that they will lay wherever they want so 😂

Oh, I also wanted to say, thise shutters do open. There is one of the front and back and 2 bigger ones on each side. I do keep it open and have them covered with hardware cloth.

I loved the Rhode Island Whites I got from Hoovers hatchery, they are very docile. one thing i did notice is they seem to hatch about 50/50 on pullet and cockerel though. They have wintered over fine no extra heat or light even with Idaho getting so many -30 temps during the winter, they would be out getting exercise and trying to forage.

I love the Ameracaunas best so they won out when had to choose cause could only have 1 rooster.
I looked at Hoover hatchery's selection of breeds. The didn't have Rhode Island Whites listed. Were they single comb or rose comb. Years ago I was sold some RIW's but they were single comb. True RIW's are rose comb. Just curious. I raise Rose Comb Rhode Island Whites.
2014-02-09 13.42.38.jpg
IMG_20151105_150209.jpg

Every Homecenter would carry Plexiglas. Larger sheets do get pricey, but smaller ones are not that much. You can get small ones, and cut openings in your shutters and install these.
View attachment 2064216
Red arrows show how I used small pieces on my door.
View attachment 2064219
Thank you. That shutter opens so I wouldnt need to cut it. The picture was taken before we moved the chicks outside. Now that they are out there I have all of the shutters open.

Back
Top Bottom