1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Peepin out of the egg, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Peepin out of the egg

Peepin out of the egg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2009
    Canada
    [​IMG][​IMG]:pop:eek::celebrate:yiipchick:caf:old:clap:hit:ya:oops::woot:rant:welcome hi!I am new on this site!Do you have any tips for raising chicks?:ducWe are getting them in March so about 4 months till we get them and we are getting 10 chicks so any cleaning,feeding,behavioural,sickness tips,etc.would be great!Also youtube videos that explain stuff for taking care of chickens would be perfect!Anything with tips\\ideas please I need help with this I have some research our coop is almost done but I would really love having more info would be great!

Thanks sincerly,Peepin out of the egg

AND NOW I WILL ENTERTAIN YOU BY PUTTING UP FUNNY POSTS![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]:fl:hugs:frow:barnie:he:he:barnie:th:th:drool:celebrate:eek::bow:eek::love:bow:pop:bow:pop:weee:caf:caf:weee:confused::old:old:old:clap:clap:duc:duc:duc:duc(this is me!)[​IMG]:duc:hit:ya:oops::confused::smack:woot:rant:woot:woot:woot:rant:smack:smack:confused::oops::ya:hit:duc:clap:old:confused::caf:weee:pop:love:bow:eek::celebrate:celebrate:eek::drool:drool:th:he:he:barnie:barnie:frow:fl:fl:hugs:hugs:fl:fl:lau:lau:lau ok you have to be laughing by now if you aren't come on join in with me!ok 1.......2.....3......4.......and5!go!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!aha!ha!ha!ha!ha!h!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ok if you're not laughing NOW!I GIVE UP!YOU ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE LAUGH!P.S. DON'T KEEP READING(NO I AM KIDDING KEEP READING!)P.P.S.S. NO MORE READING!(KEEP READING!)P.P.P.S.S.S.NOW THIS IS JUST ANNOYING!(IT GETS FUNNYER!)P.P.P.P.S.S.S.S.OOH!LOOK IT'S TIME FOR MY NAP!I THINK I'LL JUST UH [​IMG]:th:yuckyuck:yuckyuck:yuckyuck:yuckyuck:bun:bunNOW THAT IS A FUNNY POST!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  2. Caught you in the non response section. Sorry, it happens. Any how.

[​IMG]

Oh, you need to put spaces between your smileys are they will not work.

[​IMG]

3. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    lol it would have been cool and probably slowed my computer down if all those smilies worked!

4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    My advice is to go to the library and check out and read every book you can about raising chickens. You have all winter to learn about diseases, housing, proper types of food for different ages, what is poison, how to keep them healthy, what to keep in your chicken first aid kit and so much more. Yes a chicken first aid kit. You will need, at a minimum, blood stop powder, neosporin antibiotic ointment (with out the pain relief ingredient because it is poison to chickens) lice and mite dust, non stick bandage pads and an antiseptic called betadine. You can find it even at Wal mart and you dilute it with water to make it a strong tea color if you have a wounded chicken and have to clean it before bandaging. A box of latex gloves from the pharmacy and old, clean rags are highly recommended.

You will even get to know what a good poop looks like and what a bad poop looks like. Also read this forum and learn learn learn. Very knowledgeable people here and very understanding. When one of my chickens was attacked by a dog and was dying the people here were so calming and soothing and non judgemental. They prayed for me and with me and when my little one died everyone had a kind work. Just about everyone knows how you feel because they have lost a pet/chicken also.

Look under the emergency section, the pest and predator section and what to feed your flock section. This way you will know what you will need for a very secure coop and what to look for when a disease starts so you can treat ASAP.

I have a subscription of Backyard Poultry magazine and highly recommend that also. Having chickens is very rewarding but there will be a few bumps along the road so be prepared. A hawk just carried one of my 5 week old babies away and I was 10 feet from her! I want to wring that hawks neck! I want to but won't because it's a federal crime. Just want to clear that up so no one feels like they have to call the feds.

Have fun and welcome to Backyard Chicken!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by