chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ccm352, Mar 10, 2011.

1. ccm352

ccm352 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    Lansdale PA
    I have 7 chicks that are 2.5 weeks old. I have them in a tote for now. Its about 3 feet long by 2 feet wide by about 18" high.. Seems my chicks have developed a knack for jumping out.. any suggestions for a newbie as to a better container or how to contain them better? Thanks

2. angelbabyamy

angelbabyamy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Myrtle Point, OR
    My chicks are almost 2 weeks old and they are in the house. They keep jumping on top of the water and feeders and peek out. I put oven racks on top of the totes!

3. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Yes~ But first [​IMG] do a search for brooders. Our tote was modified by my Dh. He cut out the inner rectangle of the tote TOP (lid) then put hardware cloth into the hole with rivets. It workes like a charm [​IMG]

4. chknmomma

chknmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    WA
    For the longest time with our first round of chicks, I just used a giant moving box. I closed the top and bottom, but cut an opening in the side. So it was about 2' tall, but the opening was small enough that I could keep it covered. Most of the time I didn't need to - they couldn't jump out. They would roost on the water and stuff but I kept it off to the sides. It was a giant wardrobe box leftover from our move. They went from that to our coop. Must have seemed like a luxury move!! And we kept them in the garage. I attached the light to a floor lamp and would move it up as their temps needed to lower. Worked awesome!

Enjoy your babies.

[​IMG]

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:There are some on the coop design page and there is a BIG thread on here somewhere with lots more!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by