chicks

brandi37

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 13, 2012
we just got chicks and we never had chickens before. whats the best tips you can give me? oh we have a chicken coop how do i prepare it for when the chicks are grown?

Hello and :welcome and chickens. You need chick starter feed, water, bedding and heat in their brooder. Any light that gives out heat should be okay for them. People also recommend pine shavings for their bedding, if you don't have that paper towel I guess would do. Start feeding them treats early, perhaps some cooked egg or veggies, but they'll need chick grit (or a bit of free range time in the garden) for that.
As for your coop, you need nest boxes (or, if you don't have those, just something that can give the chickens some shelter when they want to lay. This weird metal tent-ish thing did fine for us. And also roosts for them to sleep on, at least a couple of feet off the ground.
Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask any other questions. :)

WelcometoBYC.gif

well right now they are in the house in cages or a fish tank like 30 gal tank. right now our dogs are in the fenced in area with the chicken coop. how long do i have to wait to put chicks in the coop after we get dogs out of that area?

Back
Top Bottom