1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by eggspert, Mar 17, 2013.

1. eggspert

eggspert Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    My Coop
    can I trick a chicken into ''adopting'' some chicks? can i just put them in, and she will think they
    are hers? ( she is broody and we don't have a rooster)

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Yep! That can work. It's best if you introduce them when she is sleeping. The chicks should be only a few days old.
    Good luck!

3. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    That's kind of a difficult one to answer because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It depends on a couple things.

#1 How long has the hen been broody? It should really be at least sixteen days before you try. They do roughly know how long it takes .

#2 How old are the chicks? They should only be a few day's old.

#3 What time of day is it? I always have the best luck if you slip them under when she is sleeping.

# And last but not least the hens personality. She may or may not except them no matter how hard you try. I have had hens kill chicks before(sometimes even there own) so if you don't want to take that risk I wouldn't try it. Other times it works out great and the hens never even know that they didn't hatch out the chicks

Good Luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by